Saturday, March 10, 2012

Start...

This is going to be a blog about my experience with StumpWM, a tiling window manager written in Common Lisp. If you want to know how I got here, you can read on.

I've been a happy user of Ubuntu for a few years now. When they switched to Unity, I was in the pro-Unity camp. I like especially how it saves precious screen space. Trouble began when I upgraded to Oneiric. There were a few problems which gave me hours of headache. Some of those have been fixed as of Precise Beta, but one nasty one still remains. The graphics gets ever slower as I continue using the system. Dragging windows and icons especially becomes almost impossible.

A week or two ago I decided enough was enough. I tried Linux Mint with it's shiny new GNOME Shell desktop, but I soon found out that I can't stand the amount of screen space wasted by local menus, title bars and two panels. What I could do about it? I could do switch to a window manager that is even more minimalistic than Unity. I immediately remembered StumpWM.

Common Lisp is my favorite programming language. I've also been a GNU Screen and Emacs user for years, both sources of inspiration for StumpWM. I also like using keyboard instead of mouse as much as I can, so a keyboard-driven window manager wouldn't put me off.

I found out that there is a lot to learn and I need a place to document what I learn somewhere. And that's why I started this blog. It will primarily serve as a repository of knowledge for me. I've also learned that writing somehow etches things into my memory so that I'm less likely to forget them. And if, by a happy coincidence, what I write here is of use to someone else, even better!

A quick note about the name of this blog. I usually obsess about names, but this time I thought I'd go with whatever came to my mind first. I was looking for a name that's both Lispy and Stumpy, and I came up with Thtump, which is both but might be rather lame. I've already chosen the sub-domain, so it's too late to change it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Better Console Font (in Arch)

In order to use Terminus as my console (tty) font, I simply installed the package terminus-font with pacman (includes both console and X11 ...